If you want to step (deeper) into modular synthesis, Omri Cohen is one of the best teachers for that on YouTube. If you should not know, VCV Rack is a free software version for modular synthesis and there’s an iOS port available called MiRack.
Surge Synth Team updated the Surge synthesizer plugin (VST3) to v1.7.0 with hundreds of new features and a brand new user interface design.
Surge is free a versatile hybrid virtual synthesizer in the VST3 plugin format for digital audio workstations on Windows, macOS, and Linux.
Voltage Modular Nucleus 2 is right now freely available at Plugin Boutique. This collection of 22 modules and 176 presets is the ultimate introduction to modular synthesis.
Native Instruments offer a ton of sounds (2000) and instruments (Synths, Smaples Instruments) plus an organizer app (Komplete Kontrol) for free. Download here.
This is a free collection of 22 modules and 67 presets for Cherry Audio modular software. Limited offer!
And another free modular synth featuring:
– High Quality Oscillators
– Ultra Low CPU
– Intergrated 128 Note Polyphonic Modules
– Sample Player
– Karplus-Strong Physical Moddeling
– Analog Modelled K35 ZDF Sallen-Key Filter
– Over 40 Modules Available
– 1000s of Combinations
– MIDI Controller Enabled
– Unlimited load and save patches
– Single Microsoft Windows 32bit DLL
The free modular software VCV Rack has been updated to 1.0.0 which mainly brings polyphony into the game. That´s a big deal! If you haven´t already register now and download the many free modules. Small tip: It´s not about how complicated a patch is to archive great results…
Another free modular system (Can´t have enough of those, right?). Full Bucket Music recently updated ModulAir.
- Fully modular architecture
- Up to 18 modules per patch
- 51 module types available
- Polyphonic Voice and monophonic Master modules
- Up to 64 voices polyphony
- External signal processing possible
- TUN/SCL micro-tuning file import
- MIDI Learn – all parameters can be controlled by MIDI C
- Double precision audio processing
- Plug-in supports Windows and macOS (32 bit and 64 bit)
Sonigen Modular is a free modular software synthesizer. It allows the user to connect individual modules to form a preset or “patch”. This gives great freedom in designing the overall signal flow and structure and hence the actual sound that is produced. Sonigen Modular is a true modular in that there are no arbitrary limits on the number or type of modules you can use in your patch.